Maryland Manual On-Line -


[County Seal, Wicomico County, Maryland] Origin: Wicomico County was created from Somerset and Worcester counties in 1867 (Constitution, Art. XIII, secs. 2-6). The County was named after the Wicomico River from the Indian words "wicko" and "mekee" meaning a place where houses are built, apparently referring to an Indian town on the river banks.

County Code
County Seat: Salisbury, MD 21801
Form of Government: Charter since 1964

1990 Census: 74,339
2000 Census: 84,644

[photo, City Park, Salisbury, Maryland]
  • Bays
  • Creeks
  • Lakes
  • Map
  • City Park, Salisbury, Maryland, August 2000. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


    Election Returns

    Executive Branch

    Judicial Branch

    Legislative Branch


    Organizational Chart



    U.S. Government Agencies

    Circuit Court:
    Community College:
    County Attorney:
    County Council:
    County Government:
    District Court:
    Economic Development Dept.:
    Elections Board:
    Emergency Services Dept.:
    Health Dept.:
    Job Service:
    Planning & Zoning Dept.:
    Public Defender:
    Public Schools:
    Public Works:
    Recreation & Parks Dept.:
    Register of Wills:
    Social Services Dept.:

    Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
    Maryland Departments
    Maryland Independent Agencies
    Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
    Maryland Universities & Colleges
    Maryland Counties
    Maryland Municipalities
    Maryland at a Glance

    Maryland Manual On-Line

    Search the Manual

     Maryland Manual On-Line, 2007

    July 6, 2007   
    Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual

    Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

    [ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
    ||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

    Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

    Copyright July 06, 2007 Maryland State Archives