Maryland Manual On-Line - www.mdmanual.net

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo, University of Maryland School of Law, 500 West Baltimore St., Baltimore, Maryland] Within the University System of Maryland, the University of Maryland, Baltimore was the first school founded. The school began in 1807 as the College of Medicine of Maryland (Chapter 53, Acts of 1807). In 1812, it enlarged its professional curricula and changed its name to the University of Maryland (Chapter 159, Acts of 1812).

University of Maryland School of Law, 500 West Baltimore St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


In 1856, the Maryland State College of Agriculture was founded, and in 1920 it merged with the Baltimore professional schools to form a new University of Maryland. Its Baltimore campus was the University of Maryland at Baltimore (UMAB) (Chapter 480, Acts of 1920).

Through the merger of campuses and components of the University of Maryland with those formerly under the Board of Trustees of the State Universities and Colleges, the University of Maryland System was created in 1988 (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). At that time, the University of Maryland at Baltimore was made part of the University of Maryland System. In 1997, the University of Maryland at Baltimore was renamed the University of Maryland, Baltimore, and the System became the University System of Maryland (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMAB) offers professional and graduate instruction. It includes the schools of Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Social Work. Complementing these schools at the Baltimore City campus is the University of Maryland Medical System, which includes the University of Maryland Hospital, University of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Center, R Adams Cawley Shock Trauma Center, and other research and public service centers.

CENTER FOR HEALTH & HOMELAND SECURITY
55 North Paca St., Baltimore, MD 21201

In May 2002, the Center for Health and Homeland Security was formed by the President of the University of Maryland, Baltimore. The Center coordinates, develops and expands programs within the University's six professional schools relating to counterterrorism and disaster preparedness. These programs include scientific and scholarly research, policy development, training, legal analysis, and government consulting.


DENTAL SCHOOL

650 West Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21201

Origins of the Dental School of the University of Maryland trace to the formation of four dental schools in Baltimore. The first was the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery (the world's first dental college) founded in 1840. The second was the Maryland Dental College started in 1873. The Dental Department of the University of Maryland formed in 1882, and the Dental Department of the Baltimore Medical College organized in 1895. All four units later consolidated to become the present Dental School of the University of Maryland.


SCHOOL OF LAW

500 West Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21201

The University of Maryland School of Law originated with the appointment of a law faculty at the University of Maryland in 1813. It more formally organized as the Maryland Institute of Law under David Hoffman at the University in 1824.

The University of Maryland School of Law ia a nationally recognized leader in legal education. Its Clinical Law Program, Environmental Law Program, and Health Care Law Program are ranked among the very best in the nation.

Several scholarly journals are published by the School of Law. They include the Maryland Law Review and, in cooperation with the American Bar Association's Business Law Section, The Business Lawyer, perhaps the most widely distributed law journal/review publication in the world.

Formerly located at 515 West Lombard St., the School of Law moved to its present site in 2002.

THURGOOD MARSHALL LAW LIBRARY
500 West Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21201

The Thurgood Marshall Law Library, formerly located at 111 South Greene St., moved to its present address in July 2002.


[photo, Davidge Hall, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland]

SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

655 West Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 1559

Established in 1807 as the College of Medicine of Maryland, the University of Maryland School of Medicine is the fifth oldest medical school in the nation (Chapter 53, Acts of 1807). It was the first medical school in the nation to begin a residency training program.

Davidge Hall, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 525 West Lombard St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


INSTITUTE OF HUMAN VIROLOGY

725 West Lombard St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 1595

The Institute of Human Virology formed in 1996 under the University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute. In July 2007, it transferred to the University of Maryland School of Medicine. The Institute combines basic research, epidemiology, and clinical research disciplines toward the study of human virology. Research supports development of more effective treatments and prevention of cancers caused by viruses, immune disorders, neurologic diseases, and autoimmune diseases.

MARYLAND PSYCHIATRIC RESEARCH CENTER
P. O. Box 3235
Maple and Locust Sts., Catonsville, MD 21228 - 3235

Opened in 1968, the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center is located on the grounds of Spring Grove Hospital Center (Chapter 558, Acts of 1967). The University of Maryland, Baltimore, operates the Research Center under an agreement with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Effective July 1, 2005, oversight of the center transferred from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to the University.

The causes and treatment of major psychotic illnesses, especially schizophrenia, are studied by the Center. Graduate and postgraduate students are trained at the Center in psychiatric and behavioral sciences research. Research fields include brain development, neurochemistry, electrophysiology, environmental and biological stress factors, pschopharmacology, substance abuse, neurobiology of social behavior, and neuroanatomy (Code Health - General Article, secs. 10-417 through 10-429).

The Center is aided by the Executive Board, and the Technical Review Committee.


SCHOOL OF NURSING

655 West Lombard St., Baltimore, MD 21201

The School of Nursing of the University of Maryland was founded in 1889.


SCHOOL OF PHARMACY

20 North Pine St., Baltimore, MD 21201

In January 1841, the School of Pharmacy of the University of Maryland was founded as the Maryland College of Pharmacy. It reformed as the Department of Pharmacy within the University of Maryland in 1904.


SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH

c/o Department of Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine
Howard Hall, Suite 109, 660 West Redwood St., Baltimore, MD 21201

In June 2006, the School of Public Health at the University of Maryland, Baltimore was formed.


SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK

[photo, Kaplan Hall, University of Maryland School of Social Work, Baltimore, Maryland] 525 West Redwood St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 1777

The School of Social Work began as the School of Social Work and Community Planning in 1961. It has been housed at Kaplan Hall since 1983.

Louis L. Kaplan Hall, University of Maryland School of Social Work, 525 West Redwood St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2007

July 6, 2007   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 06, 2007 Maryland State Archives