John R. Hershey III; Elizabeth M. Morgan, Ph.D.; Ronald Z. Sulchek; Philip J. Ulzheimer; William J. Wivell. Terms expire 2007.
Peggy S. Bushey; C. Michael Mason; John T. Simpson; Michael S. Zampelli. Terms expire 2008.
Mark R. DiLandro; Russell R. Marks; David M. Russo; George A. Stone. Terms expire 2009.
Peter J. Kurz. Term expires 2010.
Ex officio: David W. Edgerley, Secretary of Business & Economic Development; Robert C. Brennan, Executive Director, Maryland Economic Development Corp.; Timothy R. Troxell, Executive Director, Hagerstown - Washington County Economic Development Commission
Richard D. Rook, Executive Director (chosen by Board of Directors with approval of Washington County Board of County Commissioners)
Contact: Patsy R. Canby
P. O. Box 699
200 Castle Drive, Cascade, MD 21719 - 0699
(301) 241-4050, (301) 416-7669, ext. 1000
fax: (301) 241-4141, (301) 416-7089
The PenMar Development Corporation was established as a public instrumentality of the State in May 1997 (Chapter 737, Acts of 1997). Its purpose is to oversee the development of Fort Ritchie from a U.S. Army base to civilian uses. A military post located in the northeastern corner of Washington County, Maryland (near the Pennsylvania border), the Fort is being redeveloped by the PenMar Development Corporation as a corporate conference and training center. Plans include some residential development as well.
Fort Ritchie began in 1926 as a brigade training area for the Maryland National Guard. Named to honor Governor Albert C. Ritchie, Camp Ritchie was activated in June 1942 as a Military Intelligence Training Center of the U.S. War Department. From 1945 to 1948, the post again was used as a training station for the Maryland National Guard. To support the Alternate Joint Communications Center in Pennsylvania, the U.S. Army acquired the Fort in 1948. Later, headquarters for the Communications Command Continental United States of the U.S. Army transferred from Alexandria, Virginia, to Fort Ritchie in 1971. The Fort ceased operating as a military installation on September 30, 1998.
On October 4, 2006, the U.S. Army transferred ownership of Fort Richie to Penmar Development Corporation. The following day, the Corporation sold it to Corporate Office Properties Trust for mixed-use development. The Corporation continues to monitor development of the site.
The Corporation's Board of Directors consists of eighteen members. Fifteen are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners of Washington County, Maryland. Three serve ex officio (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-1201 through 5-1210).
July 6, 2007
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual